Pre race day is a day off rest and the odd spot of baking, but baking often involves high sugar contents and as scrummy as the end product may be nutritionally its not doing me any favours!
So ive gone for a healthier rockie road treat which is indulgent, tasty and slightly more healthier than the normal sugar fuelled version and comes with the added bonus of being ready a lot quicker than anything you have to stick in the oven!
All you will need is:
250g dark chocolate (buy the good stuff 80/90% cocoa it will taste a lot better)
50g flaked almonds
50g dried fruit (I used cranberries, sultanas and raisins)
1) Melt the chocolate in a glass dish on the stove
2) Add your almonds and fruit to a large mixing bowl (you could also add other nuts and chopped apricots)
3) Pour the melted chocolate over the nut/berry mix and stir together
4) Stir well!
5) Now to get a little messy use your clean hands to roll up little balls of mixture and place on a tray/plate. (optional licking of the bowl)
6) Stick it in the fridge to cool for at least 2 hours, best kept in the fridge too!
Enjoy these as a snack after a training ride.