Today I coached my mountain bike academy riders, the session was based around pumping, a key trail skill that is used to carry speed through transitions. The key to this skill is using your body to ‘weight’ and ‘unweight’ the bike.
- Look a head
- Feet in the ready position
- On the downward slope into the dip of each roller push yourself into the bike to ‘weight’ it
- keep your heels down pushing forward on your pedals
- On the upward slope and to the top bring your body back up to ‘unweight’ the bike
- 90% of the movement should be your legs squashing the back wheel into the ground
- Keep your chin up, don’t lean forward to wait the bike, instead crouch back and down into a squat